Sunday 25 November 2018

It's Time For A Change ..........

source Wikimedia Commons

If anyone panicked at the title of this post, don't worry, I'm not shutting down Classical Carousel.  But after 5 years with Blogger, I've decided to move this blog to a self-hosted site.  Blogger has been an adequate platform for these years, but lately, as I've acquired more computer knowledge, I've found it to be somewhat inflexible and a few glitches in the last little while have frustrated me into moving.  The latest glitch is very annoying and is taking up way more of my time than I can afford; Blogger will let me sign into my blog, but when I'm here, it doesn't recognize me so any replies to comments I make must be done as if I'm a stranger and I have to validate each and every comment.  I also am prevented from commenting on some of your blogs.  In spite of searching for a clue to fix this mystery and sending Blogger feedback, I've received no help and this frustration finally pushed me to my new site which I've been mulling over for awhile.

The Dance to the Music of Time (c. 1640)
source Wikimedia Commons

So I'll introduce the new CLASSICAL CAROUSEL !!!  Please follow me over there.  I'm in a little bit of transition in that I've transferred the posts and pages on this site over, but it will take time for me to change some of the links and some of the information didn't transfer over so I'll have to reconstruct what I think is important.  But all in all, I'm feeling very positive about the change.

If anyone has transferred their site to a self-hosted site, I'd love it if you could give me any of your experiences and/or tips in the comments.  While I'm excited, I'm also nervous as to what this new step will bring.

In any case, thanks to all of my readers for following and reading my posts.  I've had a blast on Blogger and will continue to have even more fun on the new CLASSICAL CAROUSEL!  Come and join me!

17 comments:

  1. i've had the same sorts of problems, Cleo and i laud your skill in creating your own site! maybe over the expanse of several years in the future i'll learn how to do that also... i'll change my listing right now, tx...

    ReplyDelete
  2. trouble: my computer won't recognize more than one "Classical Carousel" so it won't bookmark it... any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a different URL (address) so there shouldn't be a problem there. I use a Mac and when I bookmark something, it gives me the option of physically naming it something else. You could try changing the name of this blog on your bookmark (like Classical Carousel old) and then adding the new one, or name the new one something else. Does that help at all?

      Delete
  3. Whew... I'm glad you're not quitting blogging! Added to my feed. :)

    That's too bad about Blogger. I know I had to recently reset the comments to re-allow non-Google users to comment, and I couldn't recall having made that restriction before. It makes me wonder if other people are having trouble with my blog...and will I ever know? :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I hope to blog more and we'll see if the new platform makes it easier. I know there are a few bloggers who have mentioned that they can't comment on my site or have problems with my feed so there are probably a few. But what do they say ..... what you don't know, can't hurt you ... ;-)

      Delete
  4. Well, how do you like that! I've moved and suddenly today Google/my blog is suddenly recognizing me again! Too late!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cool! I've been having issues w/ Blogger. It no longer sends me notifications when someone comments, sooooo I have to remember to manually check my comments, sometimes causes 4-5-6 or more days to go by before I reply b/c I forget! It's totally inconvenient. It happened on my homeschool blog. I'd love to move somewhere else, but I haven't looked into it. So good for you. Your new site looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And look at that! After my comment above, Blogger doesn't recognize me again. :-Z Glad I switched over. Thanks for the positive comments!

      Delete
    2. Ruth - that happened with my old blog. It was something to do with that data breach thing.... ah, I wish I could remember. You know when all of a sudden every website online was asking permission to do this and that? Do you remember? I can't remember what the catalyst was, but I think from then sites would have to ask permission to send emails / notifications to you. Blogger never seemed to ask me, it just assumed I didn't want notifications! I'm guessing it's the same thing as you, and I never worked out how to rectify it!

      Delete
  6. Very nice! I've updated my feed :)

    I had a few issues with comments but aside from that I seem to prefer it - I can't get the hang of wordpress at all so I'm always in awe of those who can :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, that surprises me because you seem very computer literate. What I find challenging about Wordpress (.org) is that you have to add so many plug-ins to get what you want. But at least they're free and at least I can get what I want. I'm having fun learning the ropes!

      Delete
    2. I'm alright on Blogger but not beyond it :) Do you have to pay for Wordpress now, or is that free along with the plugins? Just curious - I never got beyond that last time I looked. When I tried Wordpress years ago (easily 10 years ago) it was free (but I never quite understood it!) :)

      Delete
    3. There is a free Wordpress option which is wordpress.com The paid option, which I chose is wordpress.org I chose it because I don't like the .com ads which they place on your website. They look ugly. But the way they both work is almost identical however when you go to the paid option, they take away certain functions (like managing fonts, certain widgets, etc.) so you have to install plug-ins to get them back. The plug-ins are free (although you could also upgrade many of them for a cost) but it is a little annoying. Now if one could work with .html, you wouldn't have to worry. But I'm too scared to try to play around with my global template ......... yet ..... :-)

      Delete
  7. OK first...Whew! Yes I did panic for a second. Glad you're not quitting. Second, make very careful notes, and detailed instructions...so I can follow suit. I'm getting annoyed with Blogger myself, but I love my blog and I'm scared of making the switch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've actually been posting more since I started the new blog which is very encouraging.

      If you need any help or advice switching over, I'd be glad to help you. It costs a little, I think about $15 per year for the domain name and about $2-4 per month for hosting but I think it's worth it. I checked and both theoncelostwanderer.com and oncelostwanderer.com are available (ie. no one else has purchased those domains) You could always buys the domain just so you have it and then wait until you're ready to set up the blog. Your hosting site will transfer all the information from your present blog over to the new site so it's quite easy, although the format will have little glitches here and there with the old stuff. In any case, let me know when you're going to pull the trigger! :-)

      Delete
    2. I may take you up on that...though you've already hit the high points and allayed some of my fears. Thanks.

      Delete