With that said, I'm not shy to admit that I absolutely manipulated my list. Well, perhaps not completely, but I did change out about seven books for ones that I'm either currently reading, are shorter novels, or projects that I am struggling with (Shakespeare, that's YOU!). Surprisingly, one of the manipulations was not The Faerie Queene.
The Rules for the spin are:
- Go to your blog.
- Pick twenty books that you've got left to read from your Classics Club list.
- Post that list, numbered 1 - 20, on your blog by next Monday.
- Monday morning, we'll announce a number from 1 - 20. Go to the list of twenty books you posted and select the book that corresponds to the number we announce.
- The challenge is to read that book by August 1st.
I used the random list organizer here to choose the 20 books from my master list. Then I tweaked them, so my list ended up looking like this:
- Ivanhoe (1820) - Sir Walter Scott
- Far From the Madding Crowd (1874) - Thomas Hardy
- Framley Parsonage (1860-61) - Anthony Trollope
- 1984 (1949) - George Orwell
- The Fairie Queene (1590 - 1596) - Edmund Spenser
- Henry V (1599) - Wiliam Shakespeare
- The Histories (450-20 BC) - Herodotus
- Richard III (1592) - William Shakespeare
- Le Rêve (1888) - Emile Zola
- Tom Sawyer (1876) - Mark Twain
- The Good Soldier Svejk (1923) - Jaroslav Hasek
- The Silver Chalice (1952) - Thomas Costain
- A Journey to the Western Islands of Scotland and a Journal of a Tour
- The Lord of the Flies (1954) - William Golding
- The Red Bade of Courage (1895) - Steven Crane
- The Robe (1942) - Lloyd C. Douglas
- The Twelve Caesars (121) - Suetonius
- The Stranger (1942) - Albert Camus
- Tom Brown's School Days (1857) - Thomas Hughes
- The Merchant of Venice (1596 - 1598) - William Shakespeare