As per usual, the rules for the spin are:
- Go to your blog.
- Pick twenty books that you've got left to read from your Classics Club list.
- Post that list, numbered 1 - 20, on your blog by next Monday.
- Monday morning, we'll announce a number from 1 - 20. Go to the list of twenty books you posted and select the book that corresponds to the number we announce.
- The challenge is to read that book by October 6th.
I used the random list organizer here to choose the 20 books from my master list. So my list ended up looking like this:
- She Stoops to Conquer (1773) - Oliver Goldsmith
- Erewhon (1872) - Samuel Butler
- Bleak House (1852/53) - Charles Dickens
- The Histories (450 - 420 B.C.) - Herodotus
- Henry V (1599) - William Shakespeare
- We (1921) - Yevgeny Zamyatin
- The Mysteries of Udolpho (1794) - Ann Radcliffe
- Wives and Daughters (1864/66) - Elizabeth Gaskell
- The Prince (1513) - Niccolo Machiavelli
- The History of Napoleon Buonoparte (1829) - John Gibson Lockhart
- Invisible Cities (1972) - Italo Calvino
- Twenty Years After (1845) - Alexandre Dumas
- Lives (75) - Plutarch
- Sense and Sensibility (1811) - Jane Austen
- Dead Souls (1842) - Nikolai Gogol
- That Hideous Strength (1945) - C.S. Lewis
- O Pioneers! (1913) - Willa Cather
- The Moonstone (1868) - Wilkie Collins
- The Waves (or other) 1931) - Virginia Woolf
- One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovitch (1962) - Alexander Solzhenitsyn
I must say that this is a pretty good list.
Five books that I'm dreading to read:
1. The Mysteries of Udolpho (for length and mindlessness)
2. Invisible Cities (so far Calvino and I have yet to be properly introduced)
Five book that I can't wait to read:
1. Bleak House
2. The Histories by Herodotus
3. Wives and Daughters
4. The Moonstone
5. O Pioneers!
So we shall see what the spin will bring us in a week. I have a good feeling about it.