Tuesday 30 December 2014

2014 Russian Literature Challenge Wrap Up





This was one of my favourite challenges this year.  It pushed me to focus on all things Russian and helped me finish that epic Russian novel, War and Peace. It also introduced me to my first Dostoyevsky and my first Turgenev. Dostoyevsky is going to take more getting to know, but Turgenev was a delight ....... very different from what I expected of a usual Russian novel.

I had aimed at finishing 1 - 3 books but I ended up reading 5, so I'm pleased with myself. Here are the books I read:





War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy

Eugene Onegin by Alexander Pushkin

Doctor Zhivago by Boris Pasternak

The Idiot by Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Fathers and Sons by Ivan Turgenev


Thanks to O at Behold the Stars for hosting this challenge!  I am now firmly entrench in a love of Russian Literature!


6 comments:

  1. You did so well! Great titles! Thank you for joining :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so pleased that I read a kaleidoscope of authors and two new ones. I'm going to try to read some more Russians for 2015 but with my challenges, it might not be many.

      Delete
    2. Very impressive! I think I am going to introduce myself to Turgenev this year.

      Delete
    3. Thanks, Carol. Turgenev seems a little less passionate and more measured than other Russians. You had to dig for his points more than Tolstoy or Dostoyevsky, but his subtlety was very interesting and thought-provoking. Have fun discovering him!

      Delete
  2. Very great post. I simply stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed browsing your weblog posts. After all I’ll be subscribing on your feed and I am hoping you write again very soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very glad that you found me. I usually try to post about once per week, sometimes more, sometimes less.

      Delete