This is by far my hardest challenge for the simple reason that I have such a difficult, insurmountable, arduous, overwhelming problem with following lists. When it comes to reading, I'm more of a free spirit who would like to flit here and there as the mood or read-along takes me. Being trapped in a schedule is not my thing. HOWEVER, I do realize that it's beneficial to work on the areas that are challenging for me, so this challenge reflects my effort at balance.
I still have a couple of books to finish for last year's challenge. If I can get to them, I'll be more than a little pleased!
Here are Adam's rules:
The Goal: To finally read 12 books from your “to be read” pile (within 12 months).
1. Each of these 12 books must have been on your bookshelf or “To Be Read” list for AT LEAST one full year. This means the book cannot have a publication date of 1/1/2014 or later (any book published in the year 2013 or earlier qualifies, as long as it has been on your TBR pile – I WILL be checking publication dates). Caveat: Two (2) alternates are allowed, just in case one or two of the books end up in the “can’t get through” pile.
2. To be eligible, you must sign-up with Mr. Linky below – link to your list (so create it ahead of time!) and add updated links to each book’s review. Books must be read and must be reviewed (doesn’t have to be too fancy) in order to count as completed.
3. The link you post in the Mr. Linky below must be to your “master list” (see mine below). This is where you will keep track of your books completed, crossing them out and/or dating them as you go along, and updating the list with the links to each review (so there’s one easy, convenient way to find your list and all your reviews for the challenge). See THIS LINK for an idea of what I mean. Your complete and final list must be posted by January 15th, 2015.
4. Leave comments on this post as you go along, to update us on your status. Come back here if/when you complete this challenge and leave a comment indicating that you CONQUERED YOUR 2015 TBR LIST! Every person who successfully reads his/her 12 books and/or alternates (and who provides a working link to their list, which has links to the review locations) will be entered to win a $50 gift card from Amazon.com or The Book Depository!
5. Crossovers from other challenges are totally acceptable, as long as you have never read the book before and it was published before 2014!
- Meditations - René Descartes
- Orlando - Virginia Woolf
- The Plague - Albert Camus
- Confessions - Jean-Jacques Rousseau
- Hamlet - William Shakespeare
- Ivanhoe - Sir Walter Scott
- Walden - Henry David Thoreau
- Framley Parsonage - Anthony Trollope
- If On A Winter's Night A Traveler - Italo Calvino
- Persuasion - Jane Austen
- Notes from the Underground - Fyodor Dostoyevsky
- The World's Last Night and Other Essays - C.S. Lewis
- The Cantebury Tales - Geoffrey Chaucer
- Ulysses - James Joyce
Whew! I think I have a list I can stick to. Ivanhoe and Ulysses are monster reads but I should be able to accomplish at least one. I hope!
Best of luck to everyone on their TBR Pile Challenge!